Monday, March 10, 2008

Technology Lessons Learned ...

Yesterday, I happened to read one of the quick tips on Ancestry's blog. Of course, I did not read this article without a little bitterness? Why? Well, my computer crashed yesterday afternoon. I did not lose any files except for a few computer programs, but the worst part about this incident was that my computer was new. (I just got this laptop for Christmas.) I'm not sure what exactly caused the crash, but I was finally able to fix it after 8 and half hours. Unfortunately, I had not backed my computer up, so I could not use the roll back option on my computer. (Actually there are two different back-up programs on my computer: one with windows and the other with the company that made the laptop.) So, what did I have to do? I had to go back to the factory settings of my computer and reset it. Needless to say, after fixing my computer, I backed it up.

So, what did I learn? Well, always back-up your computer, even if it is new. I hadn't backed up my laptop because it was new, and that was my mistake. It could have been worse for me. I did not lose files because I already keep my school work and other files on flash drives, so I did not lose those. (Of course, it is always a good idea to back up those files to a CD.) So, please learn from my mistake and to take the time to back up your computer.

No comments: