Sunday, September 2, 2007

Added a Copyright Notice

Over this past few days and in light of the Ancestry controversy, I have added a copyright notice to the top left hand of the page and the bottom of this blog's page.

You can create links to my blog, but if want to copy an article I wrote, please:
  • Leave a comment under the article with your e-mail address, so that I can contact you by e-mail.
  • You are allowed to copy an article if you first get my permission and credit the copied portions to me.

Thanks, Jessica.

3 comments:

Patricia Marie said...

Jessica,
I am curious. What about ancestry? I use it all the time but have not heard anything that is going on with it.

Jessica's thoughts said...

Hi Pat,

In regards to the Ancestry controversy, I was talking about the Internet Biographical Collection. Ancestry had copied webpages and blogs without the consent of the authors. That was what had most of the genealogy bloggers upset. While I don't believe my blog was copied, I have posted information on how someone who wants to post one of my writings on his or her webpage. What I want is someone to credit that they have posted my writings as my work, and I want to be able to keep a record of who I let copy or borrow my work. In short, I want to have it done in writing that so and so copied my work with my permission.

alwierzba said...

Hi Jessica,
I was wondering how you went about copyrighting your blog. I am a new blogger and have a blog about genealogy also. If you copyright your blog will that then protect all of the posts within the blog? Does it cover all posts after you get the copyright? Any info you can provide is helpful.
Thanks,
Brian