Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Local History and Genealogy Blogs

Earlier today, Terry Thornton put out a challenge for genealogy bloggers to list local history and genealogy blogs, and I've decided to participate. So, here are my recommendations:

  • Sandusky History - This blog focuses on the history of Sandusky, Ohio and is maintained by the Sandusky Library Archives. I realize that this blog is not from my local area, but I'm including it as my family has a cottage about a half-hour's drive west of Sandusky. So, I guess it would be considered local, as I consider the area a second home.
  • Westport (Massachusetts) History - I am not sure if this site is a blog, but it is the site for the historical society of Westport, Massachusetts.
  • Ancestor Research Log - This a genealogy blog maintained by the public library of Plymouth, Michigan. The blog mostly covers genealogy news and information on genealogy sources, especially on Michigan sources.
  • Pieces of Wild Rose, WI Area Genealogy and My Own - The focus of this blog is on doing genealogical research in the area of Wild Rose, Wisconsin.

At the moment I can't think of anymore blogs. I know I more listed on the lower left side of the page. I have just mentioned blogs that were mainly from the Great Lakes area. Any suggestions for other history or genealogy blogs are always welcome.

Update 1/16 at 11:15pm: Correction - I misstated when I said it was Terry who put out the challenge. It was Denise Olson who actually posted the challenge. I'm sorry for any confusion that I might have caused.

2 comments:

Terry Thornton said...

Jessica, Thanks for the list. But the challenge came from Denise Olson at FAMILY MATTERS/MOULTRIE CREEK!

Good to see that you read Sandusky History too! I'll take a look at your others, THANKS.
TERRY THORNTON

Moultrie Creek said...

These are great! I'm delighted to see so many libraries using blogs to spotlight their collections and area history. Thanks for your help.