Friday, July 10, 2009

History Being Destroyed ...

Earlier today, I received an e-mail from Terry Thornton about a blog article on the destruction of a Native American burial site.

The site that is facing destruction is a mound burial site that was probably built by a Native American civilization known as the Mound Builders. From what I can remember from reading about this Native American group, the tribe was located in the Southeast and was, at one point, a major civilization. Of course, historians don't know why the civilization disappeared, and from what I can remember, I don't believe historians know much about the Mound Builders either. So, a burial site that could help historians and archaeologists better understand these people is being destroyed. Additionally, people were buried in that mound, and by destroying the mound, those developers are essentially desecrating a grave site. Can you see why this is wrong? Do I need to say anymore?

No comments: