Saturday, June 5, 2010

My 2010 Genealogy Resolutions - Six Months Later

Well, it has been six months since I posted my genealogy resolutions for 2010, and I thought I would update everyone on my progress (or lack of it) so far. Here are the results:
  1. Order William Oswalt's Civil War pension file. I ordered Benjamin's pension file, but I didn't do so for William. Hopefully, I'll be able to that in the upcoming year, and I hope I will be able to determine if my ancestor is related to William. As of June 5: I have not ordered William's pension file, and I don't know if I will be ordering the records any time this year.
  2. Research the tax records of Saint Joseph County, Michigan to obtain more information on my Oswalt, Detwiler, Stout and Havens-Mandigo families. As of June 5: I have not done any research into the tax records of Saint Joseph County, Michigan. Hopefully, I get a chance to do so later this summer.
  3. Order a microfilm of a Manchester, England church records for a marriage record of an ancestor. As of June 5: I haven't ordered any microfilms yet. I hope to get a chance to do so later this year.
  4. Locate the German birthplace or home town for my ancestor, Carl. As of June 5: I haven't done any further research on my ancestor, Carl.
  5. Obtain Anton's naturalization record. As of June 5: I haven't ordered Anton's naturalization records.
  6. Determine who are the parents of my great-grandfather. As of June 5: I haven't done any research into this great-grandparent. I have always had a suspicion to at least who his mother was in the past, but I haven't been able to conclusively link determine who were his biological parents.
  7. Uncover Adam's religious affiliation. I do not know what church Adam attended except that it was a Protestant church, but I'll need to figure out what church he or his family attended so that I can continue researching my Oswalt ancestors. As of June 5: Sometime late last year or earlier this year (I can't remember when exactly, except that it occurred after Benjamin's pension file came), I happened to find a book (through Google books) that Benjamin Oswalt listed as donating some money to the Methodist Church of Three Rivers, Michigan. Of course, I still not sure if Benjamin is Adam's brother (I have yet to write about why I think he is related), but this could be a possible lead. I did not see Adam's name listed, but is it possible Adam belonged to the Methodist Church?
  8. Obtain or order more records from Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania to continue researching my ancestors from those counties. As of June 5: I haven't ordered any records from Huntingdon County. Hopefully, I will still be able to do so this summer.
Well, that is where I stand so far in accomplishing this year's resolutions. As you can see, I really haven't been able to fulfill any of my goals yet because I've been busy with school. Will I be able to complete one of the resolutions? I don't know yet, but I hope to be able to complete one before the year ends. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Claudia said...

My accomplished list sounds like yours. Only the names of the ancestors have changed....

When you work or go to school things you would like to do seem to be simmering on the back burner.

Maybe I will wait for retirement.

Tonia said...

The only problem with resolutions is that you end up beating yourself up when life gets in the way. I need to check back in with my goals, as well; I've been very slack the last couple of months. I'm hoping summer will be better for genealogy.