Sunday, April 27, 2008

A History of Hungary ...

Yes, a book on an overview of Hungary's history does exist. Although I haven't finished reading the book yet, I thought I would mention this book anyway. The Hungarians: A Thousand Years of Victory in Defeat by Paul Lendvai (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2003) gives an overview of the history of Hungary from the Eighth Century to the present day. Obviously, the book cannot cover ever single detail in Hungary's history, but at least this book does give the reader a general overview of Hungary's past. For those who are researching Hungarian ancestors or doing historical research, this book is one way that those people can get a feel for the history of Hungary. The book does include some pictures and maps, so one can get an idea of the location of places. I should note that the version I have is translated into English. (It appears to have been originally published in German, from looking at the original title listed in the copyright section.) Although the book is to read, I must mention that the book is over 500 pages long.

Either way, it is much more convenient for those who want to learn about Hungary's history to read this book than it is to read multiple books on the same subject. I only hope that this book does help others with their research of Hungary.

No comments: