Thursday, May 29, 2008

Family History Center Visit 3

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to the local Family History Center earlier today. The microfilm for baptisms of the church that some of my British ancestors had attended came in, and I went in to see if I could find any of my ancestors listed.

So, how did I do? Well, I definitely hit pay dirt this time, at least in baptismal dates for my ancestors and their siblings. Of course, I haven't finished going through the microfilm yet, but I'm hoping to do so in my next visit. Hopefully, by that time, the other microfilm will have arrived as well. (And I will keep everyone informed on what I find.)

The baptismal records that I am looking at are from 1828 to 1900. These records list the name of the child and parents (without the mother's maiden name). The date of the baptism is given, and the residence of the parents is mentioned. Most of the time, the name of the town was only listed, but a few times street names and house numbers were given. The only disappointment that I had was that these records did not list the date of birth for the child that was baptized. Does anyone know how soon parents in England would have their children baptized after birth, especially when the parents went to the local Anglican church? Thanks.

No comments: