Monday, February 2, 2009

Searching in FamilySearch Record Search's Germany Burials Database

On Saturday I mentioned that FamilySearch had added a database of German burials to its site, and afterward, I did a little searching in the database. Well, I found some information, and I thought I would share my thoughts on what I found.

So, did I find any information on my ancestors? Well, I did find some new information, and I might have been able to add another generation to one of my lines. I also found a possible sibling for one of my ancestors, and I was able to find the death and burial dates for a couple of my ancestors. Of course, I will still have to confirm the information with primary sources, but I think this new information will be able to help me narrow down dates of deaths for my ancestors. I just wish that FamilySearch had included the images from the microfilm with the database.

My only other gripe is that searching for burials by location does not work very well. I tried to search for graves by locations mentioned in the records, but it would come up as not having any results. My guess is that this might be a glitch in the database, and I hope that I will be able to search by location in the future.

No comments: