Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another Martime History Book

I have just recently finished reading two other interesting maritime history books, one which I will write about in another post.

The latest maritime history book that I have read is
Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe by Laurence Bergreen (Perennial: New York, NY, 2004). As you can see from the title of the book, this book is about Ferdinand Magellan and the expedition he led, but the book is not completely focused on Magellan. Rather, the book is focused on the voyage as a whole and the history behind the voyage. Also the author includes world history and events that is relevant to the time period of the voyage.

The book is quite fascinating, and I learned more about the voyage from this book than I learned from a textbook.

I must give one note of caution, though: I would not recommend this book to anyone younger than 17 because there is some information in the book that could be considered a little graphic. Other than that, it is an excellant book.

No comments: