Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Family Dinner Affair?

If you could have dinner with four of your ancestors, who would you chose and why?

A difficult question to answer, if you ask me. So, who would I chose to have dinner with? Well, I would definitely invite my Civil War ancestor, Adam. Why? Well, I have a lot of questions to ask, especially questions about his children, siblings and parents. I'd want to confirm who his siblings were and the names of all the children. Also, I want to ask him about his service and his childhood. As you can see, I have a lot of questions to ask him. Plus, I want to see what he looks like as I don't have a picture of him and get an idea of what his personality was like.

And now for the difficult part: choosing the other three ancestors to invite. Do I split my invitation by gender or by the parental side that the ancestor came from? It is definitely a complex decision to make.

I definitely would like to invite one of my German - speaking ancestors, not only to ask him or her questions about his or her family, but also so that I could (technically speaking) practice speaking German. I realize that is an impossibility, but since it is an imaginary situation, it could be a hypothetical possibility. I am not sure, though, which German ancestor I would invite.

I suppose for the last two ancestors, I could invite Jacob and Barbara Detwiler. I definitely have questions to ask them about their parents and family members. Plus, I would like to know what convinced them to move to Michigan.

Of course I do have two other ancestors that I could invite. Again, I would be asking those two ancestors the same questions that I would be asking Jacob and Barbara.

As to whether I would want to want to eat a home cooked meal or a meal at a restaurant, I think I would prefer a home cooked meal as that meal would give me an idea of what my ancestors ate, the economic status of my ancestors and, of course, the ethnic heritage of my ancestors.

As to which era I would want to eat in, I would rather eat in the era of my ancestors because as a history major, I would find experiencing my ancestors' eras as exciting and adventurous, and because eating in their eras would give me an idea of what their lives were like. Plus, I believe it would be easier for me to experience their lives as I don't believe they would be able to handle the way of life in my era. I think it would be too overwhelming and shocking for them.

1 comment:

JEWELGIRL said...

I chose all of my fathers ancestors, I really wanted
everyone to be able to speak
to each other without a
German translator.