Tuesday, December 16, 2008

An Interesting History Book On The November 5, 1605 Gunpowder Plot

I finally finished reading today a history book that I had been on and off for the past couple of years due to be busy with school. I read Faith and Treason: The Story of the Gunpowder Plot by Antonia Fraser.

As you can tell from the title, the book is on the plot to kill James I of Great Britain and members of Parliament, famously known as the "Gunpowder Plot." The book opens with Elizabeth I's death and the negotiations with James over ascending the crown of England. English Catholics believe that Jame's ascension to the throne would lead to more tolerance for those who practice Catholicism in England, and James gives hints that he might do so. After James has been on throne a short while, the Catholics realize he is not going to end the persecution of the Catholics, and a small group of Catholic extremists begin to plan to destroy James and Parliament.In addition to explaining how the Gunpowder came about and why a small group of young Catholic men decided to overthrow James, t he author also focuses on the aftermath of the plot and how the plot affected other English Catholics.

Although I read the book off-and-on, I still enjoyed reading the book, and I believe the author did an excellent job in bringing early-seventeenth century England to life. If you are interested in the history of the Elizabethan area and early-seventeenth century England, I would put this book on your list to read. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

No comments: