Monday, March 10, 2008

Baby Names ...

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has challenged other genealogy bloggers to a baby names meme. Specifically he asked, "If you had a chance to name your children again, what names would you choose to honor your ancestors?" Well, I can't write from the vantage of renaming children as I have never had children, but I guess I could do it from the vantage point of, if I might ever have children.

So, if had to choose possible names, these would be my favorite names from the list of my ancestors and their siblings:
  • Benjamin - (I have to be careful with one, as I've named my dog, Ben. I don't want my child to feel as though he was named after my dog, but I really do like the name.)
  • John - (A common name, I realize, but it is the name of a few of my ancestors and their brothers.)
  • William
  • Samuel
  • Henry
  • Adam
  • Peter
  • Anna
  • Emma

Okay, I realize I didn't list as many names for girls. To be honest, I haven't really thought about naming children as I am young. I'm not sure if I would name any of my children after any of my ancestors. The only name that I really like from the list is Benjamin; the other names are just okay, as they are common. I'm not sure what I would name my children. Maybe, I should come up with a list of names I would not give to my children. How about a meme spin-off of this meme? Do you have a list of names that you would never give your children?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would use my ancestors names for my babies, but as a second name.