Friday, March 14, 2008

Rootsweb To Be Hosted on Ancestry's Domain

Within the past few days, Ancestry has announced that it is moving rootswb.com to its address domain. I first noticed Ancestry's announcement on its Weekly Journal blog. From what I have read on other blog articles, some genealogists are not happy with this move. The primary concerns these genealogists have is with the length of the URL and with the possibility that Ancestry will resell the data on websites hosted by rootsweb.

To be honest, I am not thrilled by Ancestry's move. I am still wary of Ancestry's actions since the internet biography debacle of last year. I am a bit suspicious of Ancestry's motives for moving rootsweb; I still feel as though there are other motives not mentioned in that announcement. I'm probably not the only one who feels this way. To be honest, I did not have a problem with Ancestry's placement of advertisements on rootsweb, if that was a way for Ancestry to keep rootsweb information free. What I am worried is that Ancestry might one day decide not to keep rootsweb free by claiming the volunteer-donated information as their data and thereby justifying charging for that data.

Other genealogists have written articles with their feelings, and you can read them here:

No comments: