Saturday, January 19, 2008

Some Free Online United Kingdom Databases

In some previous posts, I mentioned that I have British ancestry, and I thought that I would mention a few free online databases for those who are just beginning to do research on their British ancestors. So here are a few free databases and what they cover:
  • Free BMD - This database covers births, marriages and deaths of England and Wales from 1837 to the early 1900s. If you have ancestors who died, married or were born in England and Wales in 1837 or later, you might find them in this index. (Please note: You will not find any vital records later than the early 1900s in this database.)
  • UK BMD - This database covers some vital records from select counties and cities of Wales and England. Again, the vital records begin in 1837, and continue on into the 20th Century a lit bit later than the database above. (Please note: I have linked to the page where one can search the multiple databases, but the page has links to the local county pages.)
  • Public Record Office of Northern Ireland - This site has a couple databases for Northern Ireland records. I learned about this site from John Reid's blog.

As you may have noticed, I have not included any free sites for Scotland as I did not know of any free sites. Hopefully, in future posts, I will write about other free sites for the U.K. If you know of any other sites, any suggestions are welcome. Enjoy!

No comments: