Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Speaking of the Lost Colony ...

In light of GenLady's post about the Lost Colony, I thought I would recommend two history books that I read on the Lost Colony.

The first book that I want to recommend is Big Chief Elizabeth: The Adventures and Fate of the First English Colonists in America by Giles Milton (New York: Picador, 2000). This book is written in the style of popular history books. In other words, it is easier to read than many other history books would be. The history of the colony and world events are mentioned in the book, and the author also gives his speculation on the fate of the lost colonists.

The other book is Roanoke: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Colony by Lee Miller (New York: Penguin Books, 2000). Unlike the other book, this book is written more in the style of an investigative report, only with a historical analysis twist. This book also explores the events and history of the colony and world, but this book also speculates on who was most likely responsible for the failure of the colony. The author also gives her opinion as to the fate of the colonists.

I can't say which book I like more as I enjoyed both of these books. To me, they were both very interesting. In addition to these books, you might want to check out the blog, Searching for the Lost Colony DNA Blog for further information.

No comments: